One of my goals this year is to blog regularly about what is happening, what I’m thinking, what I am learning, and how I am growing. These won’t be long posts, but truly intended to help me reflect on where I am and be able to look back and see the growth.
Already I am learning what a valuable skill flexibility is as an administrator.
Being flexible can be what lets you have a good day, or a completely stressful day…and knowing that it is YOUR choice in how you handle it is even more important.
- Staffing is an ever-moving target. When you think you are done, you just might not be. I’ve saved an email response to the emails I get when we are, for the time being, staffed to be able to respond to every person who emails me. I remember what it felt like to be seeking a “forever” spot, and always to encourage those who take the risk to email me personally about a possible position. Plus, again with the flexibility, I might need to contact them again soon!
- You are the person. You are the one who has to get it all done. Surround yourself with a team who can handle delegation. Be ok with delegating.
- BUT make sure you have also clearly communicated what your expectations are! I am going to consistently say, “Our goal here is…” or “I’m hoping this accomplishes…”.
- Flexibility makes every one easier to get along with.
And we’re in the people business!
- It’s ok to be quiet. I’m the new girl, I want to sit back, observe, get a feel for the personalities, strengths, and potential elephants in the room. Not knowing the history of conversations or attitudes can be dangerous grounds to jump in on and offer a hot sports opinion. It’s ok to sit back and get a feel for things.