I have worked under some amazing principals. In my five years as an AP, I worked under three very different, very lauded administrators, in three completely different environments. Looking back now, I am SO thankful for how different they all were, because I know I am even more prepared than your average bear, er, I mean, principal.
I’m a big note taker…so I have kept a list of the traits I felt made them so successful and hope to emulate this year. My top traits to focus on in year 1?
- servant leader- the boss who puts everyone else’s’ needs before their own, who is willing to do what it takes to make others feel successful
- big pictureR- one who sees the vision, who knows what they want the educational experience to be for their students
- willing- willing to dance, willing to be Batman, willing to let teachers try
- teacher friendly- someone who cares how decisions and changes affect teachers, not in the sense that they don’t make changes or tough decisions, but in that they care
- tradition minded- recognizes what it looks like to build a legacy and maintains traditions that matter to students, parents, & staff
- fun- from funny announcements, to jokes and stories in staff meetings, to running jokes with teachers from years ago
- confident- able to step in and handle all different situations, with purpose, with heart, with decisiveness
I hope to be that person too!
starting a new list,