What do you get when you combine a free walkie talkie app, a New Yorker, some Wisconsins, a Missouri-an, and a Texan?
Day after day after day of professional advice, personal support, and a LOT of smiles.
Jessica Johnson introduced me to Voxer while planning our Indiana Leadership presentation. I have to admit, I didn’t quite get the point…why couldn’t we text? or email? or tweet?
Did I really need another techie tool?
Thank goodness she was persistent! Daily now I am in conversation with Jessica Johnson (principalj), Curt Rees (@curtrees) Tom Whitford,(@twhitford), Leah Whitford (@leah_whit), Jay Posick (@posickj ) Joe Sanfelippo (@Joesanfelippofc) Tony Sinansis (@TonySinanis) and Melinda Miller (@mmiller757).
From the crazy events that happen throughout our days to the how would you handle this moments, we have a group to add ideas,thoughts, and advice. Tony mentioned today that these convo’s have become mini edcamps on our phone and I completely agree. We throw out random questions or thoughts and get feedback from in a safe, non-judgmental, different perspective environment.
What have I gained from random, when we have time, less than a minute each (Curt’s rule) messages? Well, considering that this is a group of rock stars…a lot. All principals and a superintendent….I’m literally hanging with the cool kids!
- “That’s me!” An activity in whole group settings where you ask questions and the participants all say, “Hey, that’s me!) A great way to show that we all have more in common than we think…
- How to handle staff situations gone awry
- Instructional writing programs, a debate on a package versus organic teaching/learning
- Inspirational videos on demand
- How to get out, take a break, reflect on difficult situations
- Ways to support our teachers and provide communication tools to help them connect with parents
- Social media management, handling multiple accounts for a campus and a personal one
- That the FC crickets are THE team! (And I have the tee shirt to prove it!)
- That seasoned, experienced administrators struggle, that we all have bad days, but that we do all LOVE our jobs!
I am SO thankful that I have this group daily to hear from, learn from, and laugh with. Considering that I’ve only “met” Jessica, it sure is ironic that I talk more with these “online” peers than I do some of my closest friends.
Thank you, Voxer fam, you are such a great addition to my PLN world!